Reflections Inn History
Horse racing played a major role in the creation of what is now the Reflections Inn. The Inn was first built in 1959 as a private retreat for a Los Angeles pharmacist, born and raised in Kamiah, Idaho, who'd made a fair amount of money from patenting race horse salves. After his passing it evolved into Bella Vista, a Dude Ranch under the care of his daughter and son-in-law, a relative of the Tommy Dorsey family. A couple of other owners came and went over the years, the property falling into some disrepair, but always retaining its "Good Bones."
Ruth and Jim May came along in 1995, after a 10 year search, immediately falling in love with the location and the property. At the time is was called Looking Glass Inn, after the heroic 19th Century Nez Perce Chief. The May's changed the name to the "Reflections Inn" in 2001 out of respect for the descendants of Chief Looking Glass.
The Reflections Inn is located in the Wild and Scenic Clearwater River Valley, the first such area designated by Congress in the 1968 Wild and Scenic Rivers Act, situated next to the largest contiguous wilderness area in the lower 48 states, which includes the Selway-Bitterrroot and Frank Church - River of No Return Wilderness Areas.
It's a beautiful, beautiful place. The river is clean, clear and cold; the trees are huge and green and the surrounding mountains force you to look up to see the horizon.
Come visit us in this place we call HOME!